The City Attorney’s Office has announced that the driver of a truck that fatally struck two young girls who were walking to school in the Exposition Park area has been charged with two misdemeanor counts of vehicular manslaughter.
Stanley Bernard Randle, 32, was charged last week in connection with the deaths of Marlene Lorenzo, 14, and her 12-year-old sister, Amy. Police said the girls were crossing a street on a green light near 37th Street and Broadway around 8 a.m. April 4 when they were struck by a big rig.
The girls were on their way to nearby Clinton Middle School.
Marlene died that day. Amy was hospitalized with severe injuries, and police announced April 22 that she had also died.
At least one witness said the truck driver was looking down when he struck the girls, a suggestion he might have been looking at a cell phone, but the driver was not arrested or cited at the time. The driver remained at the scene and cooperated with investigators, police said.
Police said at the time there was no indication the driver was under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Randle is scheduled to be arraigned June 12. He faces up to two years in county jail if convicted, according to the City Attorney’s Office.