With three consecutive dry winters in California, it is important that everyone starts using water efficiently. Palmdale Water District (PWD) has implemented Mandatory Stage 2 of its Water Shortage Contingency Plan (WSCP).
Under the new guidelines effective May 1, PWD customers can irrigate outdoor landscape three days a week before 10 a.m. and after 6 p.m. Watering days are Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays only. However, watering should be kept to a minimum, if possible, with extensive measures taken to reduce water waste. PWD is not issuing citations for first water waste offenses but is providing a warning to correct the waste issue.
If water waste does continue, PWD reserves the right to fine the resident, business, municipal facility, industry, or other user. PWD Stage 2 Water Shortage Contingency Plan Restrictions:
• Primary use of water is for domestic use, sanitation, fire prevention, and public health and safety.
• No hose washing of hardscape surfaces (i.e., sidewalks, walkways, buildings, walls, patios, parking areas, etc.).
• Hardscape spraying is only permitted to eliminate conditions that are hazardous to public safety or to prepare a surface for architectural coating or painting.
• Vehicle washing is permitted using an automatic shutoff nozzle attached to the hose (PWD highly recommends going to a commercial car wash that recycles its water.)
• Decorative fountains are not permitted unless the water used is within a closed recycling system.
• Water shall not be served at any public businesses where food is sold unless specifically requested by the patron.
• All indoor/outdoor water leaks must be repaired by the user within one week of discovery.
• Watering is only allowed Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays between 6 p.m. and 10 a.m.
• Any water found running off property from outdoor watering is considered water waste and is subject to penalty.
• Potable water is not permitted to irrigate turf located on public medians.
• Outdoor irrigation of new home construction and buildings is not permitted unless drip irrigation or micro-spray is used.
• Outdoor watering is prohibited for 48 hours after measurable rainfall and no watering is allowed when it is raining.
For more details, call the Palmdale Water District at (661) 947-04114 or visit palmdalewater.org.