Palmdale urges a ‘Safe and Sane’ Independence Day
Heavy fines for illegal fireworks
By OW Staff
The city of Palmdale is reminding residents that hefty fines will be issued to individuals caught using illegal fireworks within Palmdale city limits.
“Illegal fireworks are not allowed anywhere in Palmdale or in the Los Angeles County portion of the Antelope Valley,” said Palmdale Mayor Steve Hofbauer during the press conference held at City Hall.
“I want to invite everyone to enjoy the Fireworks Extravaganza that the City of Palmdale and the City of Lancaster have come together to present at the AV Fairgrounds on the Fourth of July,” Hofbauer said. “It really is the safest way to celebrate.”
“If your firework explodes or shoots up into the air, it’s illegal,” said Los Angeles County Fire Department Acting Assistant Fire Chief Tom Stukey. “They are dangerous and present a real threat to life and property.”
“The city has launched our ‘If you light it, we’ll write it’ campaign, and we need your help to catch these offenders,” said Public Safety Supervisor Kery German. “If you are caught using illegal fireworks in Palmdale, you will be facing a $2,500 fine for a first offense. The fines grow from there to $5,000 for a second offense and $10,000 for a third offense.”
To report the use of illegal fireworks without a specific address or location or the sale of illegal fireworks, contact Code Enforcement at (661) 267-5234 or email Code_Enforcement@cityofpalmdale.org or file a report online 24/7 at www.cityofpalmdale.org/reportfireworks. All reports can be made anonymously.
As of June 21, nearly 500 lbs. of illegal fireworks have been confiscated. A total of one criminal citation and 16 administrative citations with fines have been issued already this year.
Safe and Sane fireworks, clearly labeled with the “Safe and Sane” seal, go on sale in the City of Palmdale at noon on Monday, June 28, through noon on Monday, July 5. “Safe and Sane” fireworks may only be used during the time frame which began at noon June 28 through noon July 5. The use of “Safe and Sane” fireworks outside of this time frame is considered illegal and subject to fines. City officials are reminding residents to only use fireworks where legal and safe. Educational materials and “No Fireworks Zone’’ maps will be available at each sales booth.
The city of Palmdale is the only municipality in the Antelope Valley in which “Safe and Sane” fireworks may be legally sold and discharged on private property. However, the housing community Anaverde, all areas south of the California Aqueduct, and locations in the Rancho Vista area are “no fireworks zones” since they are in high-risk fire areas.
The “no fireworks zone” is generally described as the area within the city of Palmdale which lies along the following lines: beginning at the intersection of Rancho Vista Boulevard and 30th Street West; areas south and west of Rancho Vista Boulevard, north to Avenue N-8; south and west of Avenue N-8 from Rancho Vista Boulevard to 55th Street West; west of 55th Street West; and south from 55th Street West to 60th Street West (Godde Hill Road).
The Palmdale City Council approved issuing permits for 32 nonprofit organizations to sell Safe and Sane fireworks. Here are a few of the manned booths authorized to sell “Safe and Sane” fireworks in Palmdale:
• Adorable Baby’s Jump Start, 1301 W. Rancho Vista Blvd. (south of Rockin’ Jump Trampoline in parking lot)
• American Indian Little League, 39626 10th Street West (south of Applebee’s)
• Antelope Valley Chambers of Commerce, 40130 10th Street West (WalMart parking lot near Dragon Garden)
• Antelope Valley Desert Divers, Inc., 5038 West Avenue N
• Antelope Valley Youth Athletics, Inc., 1123 W. Rancho Vista Blvd. (10th Street West entrance)
• Bet-El Casa De Dios, 39700 30th Street West (Marie Kerr Park)
• Cornerstone Apostolic Church of Antelope Valley, 3027 W. Rancho Vista Blvd. (Vons parking lot)
• Crosswind Community Church, 41337 10th Street West (church parking lot)
• DDE Academy, Inc., 37716 55th Street East (Domenic Massari Park)
• Great Commission Community, Dirt lot on the west of Sierra Highway, south of Rancho Vista Boulevard
• Highland High School Instrumental Music Booster Club, 2535 E. Avenue S (Stater Bros parking lot)
• Iglesia Emmanuel Antelope Valley, 2419 E. Avenue S (Food 4 Less parking lot)
• Kingdom Builders, 856 W. Palmdale Blvd. (southeast corner of Palmdale Boulevard and 10th Street West)
• Kiwanis Club of Palmdale, 1803 E. Palmdale Blvd. (Vallarta parking lot)
• Knight High School Wrestling Team Booster Club, 5100 E. Avenue S (Yellen Park parking lot)
• Littlerock High School Band Boosters, 4644 E. Avenue S (southwest corner of Avenue S and 47th Street East)
• Marine Corps League, Antelope Valley Detachment 930, 37218 47th Street East (Stater Bros parking lot)
• Nueva Vida En Cristo Antelope Valley, 2534 E. Avenue S (Del Taco parking lot)
• Palmdale Elks Lodge #2027, Dirt lot west of Bank of America at 38203 47th Street East
• Palmdale Lions Club, 2049 E. Palmdale Blvd.
• Palmdale Repertory Theatre, 37140 47th Street East (WalMart parking lot)
• Palmdale Vineyard, 41520 10th Street West
• St. Mary’s Catholic Church, 4343 Pearblossom Hwy. (dirt lot west of 45th Street East)
• St. Stephen’s of the Valley Lutheran Church, 38727 Tierra Subida Ave. (Albertson’s parking lot)