As we prepare to change our clocks this Sunday, March 10 for Daylight Saving Time, the Los Angeles County Fire Department reminds everyone to also change the batteries in every smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector in their homes.

When properly installed, working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors can mean the difference between life and death.

“A working smoke alarm in your home greatly increases your chances of survival during a fire,” said Fire Captain Tony Imbrenda. “The device can alert sleeping family members and provide them with critical seconds to escape.”

Carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal. Symptoms include severe headache, dizziness, mental confusion, nausea, and fainting.

California law requires the installation of carbon monoxide detectors outside of each sleeping area in a home. For maximum protection against carbon monoxide gas, the Los Angeles County Fire Department also recommends installing a carbon monoxide detector inside each bedroom.