From Nov. 27 through Dec. 10, residents and visitors in Santa Clarita may come across the “Red Dress Project,” a traveling display of seven red dresses representing seven local women who lost their lives to domestic violence. The City of Santa Clarita, along with the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station and the Domestic Violence Center of Santa Clarita Valley, are partnering again this year with the Zonta Club of Santa Clarita on the campaign. The campaign is aimed toward bringing awareness to domestic violence in the community and is part of the annual “Zonta says NO to Domestic Violence” campaign.
All of the dresses will be displayed outside, vulnerable to wind and weather. Outdoor elements will animate the dresses, representing the life that is missing. The color of the dresses are meant to symbolize love and spilled blood, an inescapable reminder of the intimacy of domestic abuse.
In addition to touring local high schools, the red dresses will be available for viewing at the following locations:
• Santa Clarita Valley Court House – Monday, Nov. 27 and Tuesday, Dec. 5 from 10 a.m. to noon, at 23747 Valencia Blvd.
• KHTS Studio on Main Street –Tuesday, Nov. 28, from noon to 2 p.m., at 24320 Main Street
• College of the Canyons, Honor Grove – Wednesday, Nov. 29 and Thursday, Nov. 30, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., at 26455 Rockwell Canyon Road
• “In the Red” Art Gallery Reception – First Floor Gallery at City Hall – One dress will be on display at the reception on Wednesday, Nov. 28 from 7 to 9 p.m. City Hall is located at 23920 Valencia Blvd.
• Metrolink Station in Newhall – Friday, Dec. 1 from 3 to 4:30 p.m., at 24300 Railroad Ave.
• The Centre – Saturday, Dec. 2 from 10:30 a.m. to noon, at 20880 Centre Pointe Parkway
• SCV Senior Center – Monday, Dec. 4 from 10:30 a.m. to noon, at 22900 Market St.
• Princessa Metrolink Station – Monday, Dec. 4 from 3:15 to 4:45 p.m., at 19201 Via Princessa
• Savia Community Center – Wednesday, Dec. 6 from 2 to 6 p.m., at 23780 Newhall Ave.
• The MAIN – Thursday, Dec. 7 from 7 to 9 p.m., at 24266 Main St.
• Veterans Historical Plaza – Friday, Dec. 8 from 1 to 3 p.m. at 24275 Walnut St.
• Old Town Newhall Farmers Market – Saturday, Dec. 9 from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m., at 24500 Main St.
• Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church – Sunday, Dec. 10, from 1 to 2:30 p.m., at 23233 Lyons Ave.
• The Zonta Club of Santa Clarita is a member of Zonta International, a worldwide service organization of professional women, recognized by the United Nations with consultative status.
• The “Zonta says NO to Domestic Violence” campaign is supported by the DIVERT team as an educational outreach to the Santa Clarita community about domestic violence. For more information about DIVERT, visit santa-clarita.com/DIVERT.
• For more information about the red dress campaign, contact Linda Davies, Executive Director of the Domestic Violence Center of SCV at (661) 259-8175 or firstname.lastname@example.org.