The County Health Officer this week announced the extension of a cold weather alert for the Antelope Valley, Santa Clarita and Mount Wilson after the National Weather Service forecast low temperatures through Friday.

Wind chill temperatures are expected to dip below 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

“We also want to remind people not to use stoves, barbecues or ovens to heat their homes, due to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning,” said Jonathan E. Fielding, director of Public Health and Health Services.

Fielding said there are places where people can go to get warm, such as shelters or other public facilities. He warned that the elderly and people with disabilities and special medical needs are especially vulnerable and should be particularly careful not to get too cold if they have to go outside.

Shelter locations are available on the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority at 211 or the TDD line at 1 (800) 660-4026.

Fielding recommends homeowners install a carbon monoxide detector to reduce the risk of poisoning.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include shortness of breath, headaches, muscle and joint pain and nausea. High levels of the gas can lead to death in minutes.