LOS ANGELES, Calif. — Two women who were injured when Los Angeles police opened fire on their pickup truck in Torrance while they were delivering newspapers during the manhunt for former LAPD Officer Christopher Dorner have reached a $4.2 million settlement with the city, attorneys announced today.
Details of the settlement were expected to be announced during an afternoon news conference by City Attorney Carmen Trutanich and attorney Glen Jonas, who represents Margie Carranza and her mother, Emma Hernandez.
Trutanich told NBC4 the women will receive $4.2 million, “and they can divide it any way they want.”
“The deal is … a very simple, very clean deal,” Trutanich told the station. “It’s a win-win for both parties. It closes this chapter in Los Angeles and LAPD history on all issues.”
In March, the attorneys announced a $40,000 settlement of the women’s property-damage claim, which stemmed from extensive damage done to their pickup truck, which officers mistook for the one Dorner had been using during his killing spree.
Officers riddled the Toyota Tacoma with more than 100 bullets during the Feb. 7 shooting. Hernandez, 71, was shot twice in the back, while Carranza, 47, was injured by broken glass.
LAPD Chief Charlie Beck previously called the shooting “tragic.” He initially promised to provide the women with a replacement truck, but that issue became complicated when the women realized they would be liable for about $10,000 in taxes on the new vehicle. That led to the $40,000 settlement.
Dorner was accused of killing four people, including a Riverside police officer, a San Bernardino County sheriff’s deputy and the daughter of a former LAPD captain, during a rampage fueled by his anger over being fired from the Los Angeles force several years ago.
The disgruntled ex-cop’s remains were found inside a burned-out Big Bear cabin after a shootout with law enforcement on Feb. 12, culminating a nearly week-long manhunt for the fugitive.