SYLMAR, Calif.–Construction on a $161 million carpool lane improvement project in the Sylmar area will prompt closures of connectors between the Golden State (5), Antelope Valley (14) and Foothill (210) freeways at various times this week, Caltrans reported.
The closures begin today and continue through Friday, Caltrans reported.
Antelope Valley (14) Freeway closures:
* Southbound SR-14 truck route connector to southbound I-5, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m., and from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Southbound SR-14 connector to southbound I-5, from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m.
* Southbound SR-14 connector to northbound I-5, from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m.
* Southbound SR-14 San Fernando Road offramp, from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m., and from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Golden State (5) Freeway closures:
* Northbound I-5 connector to northbound SR-14, from 11:59 p.m. to 5 a.m.
* Northbound truck route collector road, from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.
* Up to four lanes of northbound I-5 from Balboa Boulevard to SR-14, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
* Southbound truck route collector road, from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m.
* Southbound I-5 connector to northbound SR-14, from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
* Up to three lanes of southbound I-5 from SR-14 to Balboa Boulevard, from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.; and
* Up to two lanes of southbound I-5 from Weldon Canyon to SR-14, from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m.
Also closed will be the westbound Foothill (210) Freeway connector to the northbound I-5, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
The closures are part of an elevated two-lane direct carpool connector at the interchange between the I-5 and SR-14, and construction of carpool lanes in both directions at the interchange.
Work began in July 2008, and is on track to be completed in the fall of 2012, Caltrans reported.