California has moved its presidential primary election up to Feb. 5, and people wishing to vote must submit a completed voter application form no later than Jan 22.

In order to register you must meet all of the following criteria: Be a citizen of the United States and resident of California; be at least 18 years of age as of the day of the next election; not be in prison or on parole for a felony conviction; and not declared mentally incompetent by a court.
Registration forms may be obtained at most county buildings, post offices, libraries, city halls, fire stations, Department of Motor Vehicle offices and public assistance office (DPSS, WIC). You can also call the Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk office and request a copy (562) 466-1310 or (800) 481-VOTE. You may also go to any city clerk’s office in the state or a voter registration event; or you can download the form from the Registrar-Recorder’s web site,
If you are registering to vote for the first time in the state/jurisdiction, you must provide either a valid California driver’s license or state ID card number. If you do not have either, applicants can use the last four digits of their Social Security number, and if the ID provided can be matched to a state record, then the voter will not be required to show ID at the polls.

If this is not available and the individual has not previously voted in a federal election and votes in person, the citizen must show a photo ID or document that indicates the name and residence address, when they got to vote.

If you have moved within Los Angeles County and have not re-registered since moving, you can vote at the poling place for your new address. You will be asked to vote a provisional ballot and provide your new and previous addresses on the provisional ballot envelope.
Those who did not vote in the last election do not need to re-register as long as you remained at the same address. If you moved or have not voted in the last several elections, you may receive a notice requesting you to confirm that you have not moved, or to provide current residence information. Your registration may be canceled for failure to respond to an address confirmation letter or if you have not voted in any elections occurring between the date of the mailing and two consecutive federal general elections.

When you register, under current state law, voter registration information is a matter of public record, however there are exceptions for those who obtain a Superior Court order or who can present certification that they are a participant in the Secretary of State’s Address Confidentially for Victims of Domestic Violence and Stalking Program.

People who became citizens after the registration deadline can still register vote, and can only vote at the Registrar-Recorder’s office between the 28th day and the seventh day before an elections. New citizens must present a Certificate of Naturalization and declare that they have established residence in Los Angeles County.
Finally, if you are an ex-felon who is not currently in prison nor on parole for a felony conviction, you can register to vote.

To obtain additional information, contact (562) 466-1310 or visit the Web site