National Diaper Bank Network raises awareness for parents and babies in need
Diaper Need Awareness Week takes place Sept. 21 - 27
OW Staff Writer | 9/17/2020, midnight
Kimberly-Clark® and its North American Huggies® brand are asking consumers to join them during National Diaper Need Awareness Week, Sept. 21 - 27, by taking action to help end diaper need in America.
Diaper need is the lack of a enough supply of diapers to help keep a baby or toddler clean, dry and healthy, and it is a recognized public health issue that impacts the physical, mental, and economic well-being of U.S. children and families. Diaper need can result from poverty, unexpected life hardships, natural disasters, and so much more.
Together with the National Diaper Bank Network (NDBN), Huggies is helping struggling families secure this basic need of clean, dry diapers for babies and toddlers.
Throughout the month of September, Huggies will donate* a case of diapers for every specially marked package purchased at Walmart, helping to ensure all babies have access to clean diapers and other basic necessities required for them to thrive and reach their full potential.
A nationwide study conducted by the NDBN and Huggies helped reveal the facts on diaper need in the U.S.:
• One in three U.S. families reported experiencing diaper need.
• Nearly three in five families experiencing diaper need reported missing work or school due to lack of access to clean diapers needed for childcare services.
• Families reporting diaper need encompass a wide array of ages, racial groups and income levels. Of those in diaper need, 96 percent are under 45 years of age with the majority between 25 to 34 years of age.
• Of those in need, two-in-five families said they stretch the use of diapers by keeping a child in the same diaper longer, which can increase a child's risk for skin irritation and other serious side effects.
“Diapers are a basic necessity for every baby and toddler,” said Joanne Goldblum, CEO of the National Diaper Bank Network. “With the support of our founding sponsor Huggies, the National Diaper Bank Network and our member programs are changing lives of children and families by working to end diaper need. They also need immediate help to do what they do. Particularly because the COVID-19 crisis has caused an unprecedented number of families to turn to diaper banks for support.”
There are several ways to participate in National Diaper Need Awareness Week:
• Host a physical or virtual diaper drive
• Volunteer at a local diaper bank
• Request proclamations from elected officials
• Engage on social media or share posts from The National Diaper Bank Network by using and/or following the hashtags #EndDiaperNeed and #HelpingHugs
• Make a monetary donation to the National Diaper Bank Network or support a local diaper bank
• Purchase a specially marked box of Huggies at Walmart during the month of September and Huggies will donate a pack of diapers to the National Diaper Bank Network
The National Diaper Bank Network member diaper banks help families in all 50 U.S. states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. To find a diaper bank, visit the member directory at NationalDiaperBankNetwork.org.