Quantcast

Suge Knight being treated for chest pain after court hearing for murder in Compton

City News Service | 2/5/2015, midnight
One-time rap impresario Marion “Suge” Knight was receiving hospital treatment Wednesday, authorities said.

One-time rap impresario Marion “Suge” Knight was receiving hospital treatment Wednesday, authorities said.

Knight, 49, was taken to a hospital Tuesday for treatment of reported chest pains after a court hearing in Compton, where he pleaded not guilty to charges of murder, attempted murder and hit-and-run for allegedly running down two men in Compton, killing one and injuring the other.

Los Angeles County sheriff’s Deputy Kelvin Moody said early this morning that Knight was still in the hospital.

The judge initially assigned to the case, Judge John J. Cheroske, recused himself from the case, saying he had represented both of the victims when he was a lawyer. The case was then handed over to Judge Ricardo Ocampo, who handled the arraignment.

Knight is due back in court Monday for a bail review hearing, during which defense attorney David Kenner will ask a judge to review the revocation of the $2 million bail initially granted in the case.

Knight surrendered early Friday and was booked on suspicion of murder. The hit-and-run occurred around 2:55 p.m. Thursday in the parking lot of Tam’s Burgers in the 1200 block of West Rosecrans Avenue, near Central Avenue. Knight allegedly drove his pickup truck backward and forward, killing Terry Carter, 55, and injuring 51-year-old Cle Stone, who was treated at a hospital.

Knight’s attorney at the time, James Blatt, confirmed Knight was behind the wheel of the pickup that struck the men but said he acted out of fear in trying to escape from as many as four people who attacked him. Blatt also claimed that Knight had been unaware that he hit two men with the pickup, which was later found in a Westwood parking lot.