The city of Santa Clarita in partnership with the Santa Clarita Valley Food Pantry, is hosting the 6th Annual Summer Food Drive to help local families in need now through August 29. Residents interested in donating to the cause can drop off donations at several city facilities.
Items most needed this summer include: tuna, peanut butter, canned meats, fruit, tomatoes, dried soups, cereal, macaroni and cheese, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, bar soap, diapers and feminine hygiene products.
“This is our sixth summer sponsoring the food drive for the Food Pantry and it is a very worthwhile endeavor,” commented Mayor Laurene Weste. “The Summer Food Drive is a great opportunity for the community to unite and help keep those less fortunate from going hungry.”
Collection bins for non-perishable food donations have been set-up at eight city facilities including:
• City Hall, located at 23920 Valencia Boulevard
• Santa Clarita Sports Complex, located at 20880 Centre Point Parkway
• Transit Maintenance Facility, located at 2400 Main Street
• Central Park, located at 27150 Bouquet Canyon Road
• City’s Corporate Yard, located at 25663 Avenue Stanford
• Valencia Library, located at 23743 Valencia Boulevard
• Old Town Newhall Library, located at 24500 Main Street
• Canyon Country Jo Anne Darcy Library, located at 18601 Soledad Canyon Road
Non-perishable items may also be directly donated to the Santa Clarita Valley Food Pantry, located at 24133 Railroad Avenue. Donations will be accepted from 9:00 a.m. to noon every Monday through Thursday.
Since 1986, the Santa Clarita Valley Food Pantry has been distributing food to low-income residents. The Food Pantry relies on donations from the community to provide supplemental food on a short-term basis to qualified, local residents.
For more information on the Santa Clarita Valley Food Pantry, visit SCVFoodPantry.org or contact Belinda Crawford of the Food Pantry at (661) 255-9078.