Lancaster welcomes citizen participation in zoning workshop
Offer input, ideas and suggestions
OW Staff Writer | 9/6/2013, midnight
The city of Lancaster invites all interested parties to take part in a community workshop on Sept. 7, from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m., at the American Heroes Park Community Building to discuss a zoning code update for the areas to the east and south of the Lancaster Metrolink Station. Using a grant from the L.A. County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA), the city has retained a team of consultants led by Sargent Town Planning to:
- Create a new Transit Oriented Development (TOD) overlay zone for the planning area;
- Update the city’s zoning map;
- Update the Title 17 zoning ordinance to include TOD overlay regulations and design standards;
- Update the General Plan Land Use Map;
- Amend the general plan to extend the existing boundary of the downtown Lancaster Transit Village District.
During this public workshop, the consultant will lead a moderated discussion regarding the preliminary zones for the planning area. In addition to building setbacks, development types, building heights, and parking placement, topics of discussion will include:
- How to enable transit-oriented residential densities and a mix of uses near the Metrolink station which support and encourage ridership and transit-oriented lifestyles.
- How to make sure new multi-family buildings, currently allowed per existing zoning, fit into the existing neighborhoods.
- How to generate pedestrian-friendly environments, particularly along the corridors.
- How to continue to accommodate existing light industrial uses, while preserving a reasonable separation between these and residential uses for the benefit of both.
You are encouraged to attend, provide, feedback, and share your ideas. The public workshop will be held at the American Heroes Park Community Building, 642 West Jackman St., Lancaster. Refreshments will be provided.
For more information regarding the workshop, call Chris Aune, city of Lancaster Planning Department, at (661) 723-6100 or by email at email@example.com.