West Hollywood Halloween Costume Carnaval awaits you Thursday
City News Service | 10/30/2013, 12:07 p.m.
Nearly a half-million people are expected to descend on Santa Monica Boulevard Thursday night for the West Hollywood Halloween Costume Carnaval, whose theme is Noir Night.
The carnaval will run from 6 to 11 p.m. on Santa Monica Boulevard between Doheny Drive and La Cienega Boulevard. It is billed by organizers as the Los Angeles area’s second-largest annual event behind the Tournament of Roses Parade.
There will be six stages with various themes with more than 50 artists performing.
The Noir City stage at Santa Monica and San Vicente boulevards will include performances by the house band Vaud & The Villains, a staged performance from the new lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender musical “Behind Closed Doors” and a variety of cabaret choreography from “Halloween Hullabaloo.”
Jonathan Allen, a contestant on “America’s Got Talent,” will perform operatic arias.
The Speakeasy stage at Santa Monica Boulevard and Almont Drive will feature 1950s singer Lynda Kay, the singer-songwriter duo Better Off Blonde and the noir jazz group The Toledo Show.
There will be performances by Gavin Turek and a full electronic dance set from DJ Zen Freeman, featuring special vignette performances by the contemporary burlesque dance troupe Velvet Martini, on the Pulp Friction stage at Santa Monica Boulevard and West Knoll Drive.
Three additional DJ stages will be at Westbourne Drive, Palm Avenue and La Peer Drive on Santa Monica Boulevard.
Entertainer and talk show host Queen Latifah will be crowned as queen of the carnaval.
The following street closures will be in effect:
- San Vicente Boulevard between Melrose Avenue and Santa Monica will be closed all day, reopening at 7 a.m. Friday;
- Santa Monica between Doheny Drive and La Cienega Boulevard, including all side streets, will close at noon Thursday, reopening at 6 a.m. Friday.
- Robertson Boulevard between Melrose and Santa Monica will be closed from noon Thursday through 6 a.m. Friday.
- Almont Drive and La Peer Drive will be closed from Santa Monica to
- Melrose from noon Thursday through 6 a.m.
- San Vicente between Cynthia Street and Santa Monica will be closed from noon Thursday to 6 a.m. Friday.
- Santa Monica between La Cienega Boulevard and Holloway Drive/Croft
- Avenue will be closed from 4 p.m. Thursday to 6 a.m. Friday.
- La Cienega between Sunset Boulevard and Santa Monica will be closed from 4 p.m. Thursday to 6 a.m. Friday.
- The Sunset eastbound and westbound turn lanes onto La Cienega will be closed from 4 p.m. Thursday to 6 a.m. Friday.
West Hollywood will suspend permit parking restrictions beginning at 11 a.m. Thursday and continuing until 6 a.m. Friday. Parking meters will be enforced. All parking restrictions must be observed in neighboring Beverly Hills and Los Angeles.
Parking will be available in various West Hollywood city-operated structures and lots, for a $20 fee.
The “FrankenRide” special shuttle bus service will stop at all Metro bus stops along Santa Monica Boulevard between Fuller Avenue and Croft Avenue beginning at 6:30 p.m., running approximately every 15 minutes until 1 a.m. More information is available by calling (323) 848-6510.
More information on the carnaval is available online at weho.org/halloween or by calling West Hollywood’s Halloween hotline at (323) 848-6503.