Inglewood double-murder case dismissed after DA announces unable to proceed
City News Service | 10/29/2013, 5:15 p.m.
INGLEWOOD, Calif. — After the prosecution announced it was unable to proceed, a judge today dismissed the case against a Compton man who was charged with the murders of his 18-year-old ex-girlfriend and her boyfriend’s grandmother.
Inglewood Superior Court Judge Victor Wright dismissed the case against Justin Marquis Scott nearly two weeks after defense attorney Juliette Robinson said video surveillance tapes showed him in stores at the time of the Oct. 8 shooting deaths of Crystallyn Nguyen and 64-year-old Dora Dawson, who tried to protect her grandson.
The murder charges included the special circumstance allegation of multiple murders, which could have carried the death penalty.
Scott, 19, also had been charged Oct. 11 with the attempted murder of his ex-girlfriend’s 22-year-old boyfriend, who survived the shooting in the 11700 block of South Crenshaw Boulevard.
“Based upon newly discovered evidence, prosecutors said they could not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant committed the charged crimes,” said Shiara Davila-Morales of the District Attorney’s Office.
The crime remains under investigation by the Inglewood Police Department, according to Davila-Morales.
Scott had been held without bail since his arrest Oct. 9. His attorney could not be reached for immediate comment on the charges being dismissed.