Cal Fresh benefits cut
Officials urge supporting food banks
OW Staff Writer | 11/7/2013, midnight
The program is available locally at the Watts Healthy Farmers’ Market in Ted Watkins Park at 103rd Street and Central Avenue each Saturday from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.; each Friday from 3-7 p.m. at the Echo Park Farmers’ Market in Parking Lot #663 on Logan Street just south of Sunset Boulevard; each Thursday from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. at the Central Avenue Farmers’ Market, 4301 S. Central Ave., and each Wednesday from noon-6 p.m. at the L.A. Medical Center Farmers’ Market, 4800 Hollywood Blvd.
The program is underwritten by the company Naked Juice, which will donate up to 150,000 pounds of fresh produce. Naked Juice will donate the equivalent of one pound of produce each time someone tweets to #DoGood or sends a text of DOGOOD to 55155.
Another option for people who experience a food shortage or challenge is to call the county information line at 211 or visit a local food bank for help.
People For Community Improvement is planning a series of food giveaways on the following dates and locations: Friday, Nov. 8 at 11 a.m.- 2 p.m. at the PCI Center, 13008 S. Figueroa St., Los Angeles, (323) 303-3339; Saturday, Nov. 16 at 10 a.m. at Home Assembly Church, 13515 S. Figueroa St., Los Angeles; and Friday, Nov. 22 from 11 a.m.-2 p.m., Thanksgiving food distribution at the PCI Center.
To find additional food distribution sites, visit the website www.lafoodbank.org.
A selection of food pantries include:
• All Peoples Christian Center, 822 E. 20th St., Los Angeles, Fridays noon-5 p.m. (213) 747-6357.
• Ananda Marga of L.A. Inc., 1245 S. Norton Ave., Los Angeles. (323) 734-7211, distribution Thursday 8:30-9:30 a.m.
• Another Chance Outreach, 456 W. Compton Blvd., Compton, (310) 631-2408, distribution time: second and fourth Saturday 8-10 a.m.
• Ascension's Food Pantry, 517 W. 112th St., Los Angeles, (323) 754-2978, distribution time: last Saturday of the month 9-11 a.m.
• Bethel AME Church, 7919 S. Western Ave., Los Angeles, (323) 779-4454, distribution time: Wednesday 8:30 a.m.-noon.
• Belvue Presbyterian Church, 675 E. 118th St., Los Angeles, (323) 757-9188, distribution time: Thursday 10-11 a.m.
• Bethesda Temple Church, 4915 Crenshaw Blvd., Los Angeles, (323) 299-2591; distribution time: fourth Saturday 1-3 p.m.
• Blood of Jesus Prayer and Church, 11001 S. Broadway, Los Angeles; (323) 752-3048. distribution time: Wednesday 4:-5 p.m.
• Breath of Life S.D.A., 425 S. La Brea Ave., Inglewood, (310) 837-8782, distribution time: first and third Thursday 12-3 p.m.