The autobiography of Malcolm Shabazz

William Covington | 5/15/2013, 5 p.m.

People often describe me as troubled. I'm not going to say that I'm not. But I'm not crazy. I have troubles. A lot of us do. But you need to understand where I'm coming from and why I am the way I am. Considering what I've been through, it's a miracle that I've been able to hold it together. I'm just trying to find my way. [I've read newspaper stories about me that] say, "Experts testify [that boy] is psychotic." The way they describe me is wrong--bi-polar, depression, pyro, whatever. I know I'm not at all. Some of the things I've been through, the average person would have cracked.
--Excerpt on July 12, 2012, from "News One speaks with Malcolm Shabazz" by Aliya S. King

Malcolm Shabazz's intentions in going to Mexico, where his life was snuffed out last Thursday not far from the poverty-ridden Tepito area near Mexico City, were to help his friend, Miguel Suarez, by lending his well-known family name in an attempt to overturn Suarez's deportation. Although the 28-year-old grandson of Malcolm X gave some the appearance of constantly battling himself within, it wasn't unusual for him to travel and attempt to assist an individual.

At the least, this is the impression one might get after researching hundreds of blogs generated within the United States, Africa and the Middle East.

Suarez's mother and Shabazz, according to the Associated Press, traveled together through San Diego to Mexico, crossing the Tijuana border, and once in Mexico traveled to Mexico City by road. It isn't clear whether their travel was by bus or car.

Shabazz evetually connected with Suarez.

According to Prosecutor Rodolfo Fernando Rios, while walking down the streets of Tepito, Shabazz and Suarez, encountered two women, one of whom spoke English, and who lured the two men to the Palace Club Bar. Mexican newspapers have identified the bar as a known brothel.

According to Mexican news reports, it is not uncommon for bars in Tepito to charge customers for even a conversation with the female employees.

Shabazz reportedly consumed several drinks, resulting in a blood alcohol level of more than three times the legal limit for operating a vehicle in the United States. But the prosecutor, while not offering details on how much liquor was consumed, said the bill was excessive and was part of an effort to rob Shabazz and his companion. The pair disputed a tab that amounted to about $1,200. According to the Associated Press, many of the bars in the area are notorious for exorbitant overcharging of customers, particularly foreigners, often on the pretext that customers must pay for time spent talking with the females.

According to Associated Press, Suarez said a "short dude came with a gun and took him to a separate room." Suarez said he heard a violent commotion in the hall--more than likely Shabazz being assaulted--and escaped from the room and the bar observing half-naked girls running away as he fled, picking up their skirts from the dance floor,"