Jazz returns to Central Avenue
Annual festival plays host to veterans and emerging artist
OW Staff Writer | 7/25/2013, 6:03 p.m.
Ernie Andrews and the Gerald Wilson Band are among the veteran musicians set the grace the stage of the 18th annual Central Avenue Jazz Festival this weekend.
The music begins at 11:30 a.m. Saturday, and at 11:45 a.m. on Sunday and continues until about 5:30 p.m. on both days.
This free community festival will be held in front of the historic Dunbar Hotel, located at 42nd Street and Central Avenue.
The Central Avenue Jazz Festival is coordinated by the Coalition for Responsible Community Development (CRCD) in partnership with 9th District Los Angeles City Councilmember Curren D. Price, Jr. and annually pays tribute to jazz greats and community leaders on Central Avenue.
For additional on the festival, contact the office of Councilman Price at (213) 473-7009 or the Coalition for Responsible Community Development (CRCD) at (213) 743-6193.
The line-up is as follows:
- 11:30am - A Place Call Home Ensemble
- 12:20 pm - LAUSD Beyond The Bell All-City Jazz Big Band
- 1:30 pm - Ernie Andrews
- 2:40 pm - Cuba L. A.
- 4:00 pm - Ashley Chanel
- 5:25 pm - Gerald Wilson Orchestra
Sunday, July 28
- 11:45am - Jazz America
- 1:10 pm - Jamael Dean Quintet
- 2:30 pm - West Coast Get Down
- 3:55 pm - Ray Goren and the Generation Blues Experience
- 5:20pm - Gilbert Castellanos and the New Latin Jazz Quintet featuring Charles McPherson