Urban League Young Professional schedule proposition forum
City News Service | 10/25/2012, 6:52 p.m.
Assemblyman Mike Davis and KJLH's Adai Lamar will be among those participating in a proposition forum and barbecue sponsored by Los Angeles Urban League Young Professionals, in association with S.C.O.P.E. and the League of Women Voters, on Saturday, Oct. 27. The public is urged to attend discussion on the important propositions that will appear on the Nov. 6 ballot.
The event with be held at S.C.O.P.E. headquarters at 1715 W. Florence Ave., Los Angeles.
The forum will discuss such issues as the Three Strikes law, the death penalty, and educational funding are all critical issues that voters in the state must decide on Nov. 6.
"While most people in our community are very aware of the presidential elections, not many are aware of the state propositions and how they will affect our community," says spokesperson Rasheda Kilpatrick. "Quite honestly, these propositions can have devastating effects on our children's education, the rate at which our loved ones receive jail time, and the amount of information we have about the food we consume."
Come learn about state propositions and then spread the knowledge throughout the community.
Here's Saturday's agenda:
- 10-10:30 a.m. - Arrival/breakfast
- 10:30-11 a.m. - Neighborhood canvassing (training provided by S.C.O.P.E)
- 11-12 p.m. Proposition forum (provided by League of Women Voters of Los Angeles)
- 12-1 p.m. - Neighborhood canvassing/In-house breakout session
- (Some people will canvass the neighborhood others will stay in the breakout session and talk about the propositions)
- 1-2 p.m. - Free barbecue grill catering/ Live Jazz/ Recap/ mix, mingling, etc.