Communities throughout the Southland to participate in annual National Night Out
City News Service | 8/6/2012, 5 p.m.
LOS ANGELES, Calif.--Communities throughout the Southland will participate tonight in the 29th Annual National Night Out crime- and drug-prevention event.
"National Night Out is designed to heighten crime- and drug-prevention awareness; generate support for and participation in local anti-crime efforts; strengthen neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships; and send a message to criminals letting them know neighborhoods are organized and fighting back," said Stephanie Martin of the Manhattan Beach Police Department.
Beginning as early as 4 p.m. in various communities--and extending for several hours--residents are urged to turn on their outside lights and spend the evening outside with neighbors and law enforcement officers, who will be out in extra patrols.
Among the planned events:
- 5 p.m. in Southwest Los Angeles, Van Ness Recreation Center, 5720 S. Second Ave.;
- 5 p.m. in the Leimert Park area of Los Angeles, Marlton Avenue, between Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and 39th Street;
- 6 p.m. in Marina del Rey, sheriff's service center, 5357 Centinela Ave.;
- 6 p.m. in Van Nuys, 14400 block of Sylvan Street;
- 6 p.m. in Hawaiian Gardens, City Hall, 21815 Pioneer Blvd.;
- 6 p.m. in Pasadena, Hammond Street, between Fair Oaks Avenue and Morton Avenue;
- 6 p.m. in Manhattan Beach, various neighborhoods;
- 6 p.m. in Santa Monica, Civic Center Parking lot, Olympic Drive atFourth Street; and
- 7 p.m. in Gardena, Target Store, 2169 W. Redondo Beach Blvd.
National Night Out is sponsored by the National Association of Town Watch. More information is available at www.nationalnightout.org.