Two charged with Dodger Stadium beating
7/22/2011, 1:45 p.m.
LOS ANGELES, Calif.--Two men were charged today with mayhem, assault and battery in connection with the opening-day beating of San Francisco Giants fan Bryan Stow outside Dodger Stadium, and the man who had been arrested in connection with the beating was officially exonerated.
Louis Sanchez, 29, and Marvin Norwood, 30, both of Rialto, are scheduled to be arraigned Monday in downtown Los Angeles. They were both arrested Thursday and were being held in lieu of $500,000 bail.
A woman who was also arrested--identified by the Los Angeles Times as 31-year-old Dorene Sanchez, who is believed to be Louie's sister and the wife or girlfriend of Norwood--was not charged.
According to the District Attorney's Office, both men were charged with mayhem, assault by means likely to produce great bodily injury and battery with serious bodily injury, all felonies. Sanchez was also charged with two misdemeanor counts of battery stemming from a separate incident the same day.
Sanchez faces a maximum of nine years in prison, while Norwood faces up to eight years behind bars, according to prosecutors.
Los Angeles Police Department Chief Charlie Beck said Giovanni Ramirez, 31, who was arrested May 22 in connection with the March 31 beating, had no connection to the attack.
"I want to tell the world, Giovanni Ramirez is no longer a suspect in this case," Beck said.
Police arrested Ramirez after a parole agent raised suspicion that he might be one of the assailants, but investigators apparently could not find evidence conclusively linking him to the savage beating.
"That was very (upsetting) for me and stressful especially in the kind of job that I have that people, customers and coworkers would point to me, 'Oh that's the mother of Giovanni Ramirez, oh yes,' you know?" Ramirez's mother, Soledad Gonzalez told reporters at an afternoon news conference.
"So I got very depressed but I thought I believe in God and I said well I know my son is innocent."
Ramirez, a documented gang member, was never charged with attacking Stow, but in late June he was sent to prison for 10 months for violating his parole because a gun was found in the apartment where he was staying. He's being held in San Diego.
"I got very upset because they (police) did something wrong," Gonzalez said. "If you don't have any proof, why did you put the picture of him in public and say, 'He is the suspect. He is the first primary suspect?' No. That's wrong. There is a big, big mistake they made."
The LAPD announced June 8 that the investigation into the Stow beating was being shifted from detectives at the Northeast Station to the elite Robbery-Homicide Division, which typically handles high-profile cases.
Earlier this week, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors added $15,000 to the reward for information leading to the people who took part in the Stow beating. That brought the total reward on offer to at least $225,000.
Stow, a 42-year-old Santa Cruz paramedic and a father of two, suffered brain injuries when he was punched and kicked by two men who police say the left the scene in a vehicle driven by a woman.