The City of Los Angeles Workforce Investment Board and the Community Development Department have awarded $10.3 million in American Recovery Reinvestment Act (stimulus) funds to 13 different organizations to fund training and job placement services in high growth industries for 2,000 potential workers.
The program targets low income, unemployed and displaced individuals 18 years and older, and will offer education or placement in manufacturing, healthcare, green technology and logistics-transportation. It will provide the training and job readiness skills that will qualify participants for entry-level jobs, and the goal is placement in long-term employment in fields with the potential for livable wage salaries.
Selected WorkSource centers are partnering with industry and education organizations to offer the program, and there are a number of offerings locally.
United Auto Workers have teamed up with the Southeast Los Angeles Crenshaw WorkSource to provide healthcare, advanced utilities/green lighting/ solar training as well as urban/clean manufacturing.
The South Bay Center for Counseling is teaming up with the on-site WorkSource Centers at the Jordan Downs, Nickerson Gardens and Imperial Courts to offer training and placements in the energy pathway category.
To sign up for the program, those interested can contact one of the participating WorkSource centers:
* Southeast Los Angeles Crenshaw, 3965 S. Vermont Ave., Los Angeles (323) 730-7900.
* Jordan Downs WorkSource Portal, 2101 E. 101st St., (323) 249-7751.
* Nickerson Gardens WorkSource Portal, 1495 E. 114th St. Unit #1106, Los Angeles. (323) 357-3980.
* Imperial Courts WorkSource Portal, 11534-36 Croesus Ave., Suite 413, Los Angeles. (323) 249-2910.
Other WorkSource centers participating in the program include:
* Hollywood North WorkSource Center which will provide training in healthcare occupations, 855 N. Vermont Ave., Bungalow B-10, at Los Angeles City College. (323) 960-1300.
* Wilshire Metro WorkSource Center in partnership with Community Career Development to provide security and clean manufacturing training, 3550 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 500, Los Angeles. (213) 368-0047.
Although the four WorkSource Centers in Antelope Valley are not part of the stimulus funding, they do have other job training and placement programs to help. The centers are located at:
* Antelope Valley College, 3041 W. Avenue K. (661) 722-6358.
* Antelope Valley WorkSource Center, 1420 West Avenue I, Lancaster. (661) 726-4128.
* Santa Clarita WorkSource Center, 20655 Soledad Canyon Road, Unit 25, Santa Clarita. (661) 726-4128.
* South Valley WorkSource Center, 1817 E. Avenue Q, Suite A-12, Palmdale. (661) 265-7421.