Angry Shrimp with Tuscan White Beans
OW Staff | 9/3/2008, 5 p.m.
1. In small saucepan, heat beans, 2 tablespoons olive oil and the chicken broth to boiling. Reduce heat to low to keep mixture warm. (Lemon juice and parsley will be added later.)
2. In small bowl, mix flour, chili powder, 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. In another small bowl, beat egg lightly. In third small bowl, place bread crumbs.
3. Coat shrimp with flour mixture, shaking off excess; next dip shrimp into egg and then coat with bread crumbs. In 10-inch skillet, heat 1/3 cup of the oil over high heat. Add shrimp to skillet in single layer. (Do not toss or move shrimp.) Cook about 3 minutes. Turn shrimp over; cook until browned. Remove shrimp from skillet to cookie sheet.
4. Add garlic to hot oil in skillet; cook and stir until light brown, adding more oil if necessary. Add chile; cook until soft. Carefully add basil (water in skillet will pop). Cook 45 to 60 seconds or until crisp.
5. Meanwhile, stir lemon juice and parsley into bean mixture in saucepan; season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
6. Stir orange peel into basil mixture in skillet. Remove from heat. Return shrimp to skillet; toss to combine.
7. Spoon bean mixture onto platter or individual plates. Drizzle with olive oil. Top with shrimp; spoon some of basil mixture with some of its oil over top.
Wine pairing: Cavit Riesling - vibrant with luscious aromas and flavors. Crisp and well-balanced with just a hint of sweetness.
Recipe courtesy of Family Features/ Blackstone Winery / Progresso / Sargento.