Sweet Potato Biscuit and Tenderloin Sandwich
1 pound Certified Angus Beef® tenderloin steaks
Salt and pepper to taste
2 portobello mushrooms, grilled and sliced thin
4 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
4 sweet potato biscuits, sliced in half (see recipe)
4 slices center-cut bacon, cooked
1/4 cup roasted red pepper, sliced
1/4 cup spring mix salad greens
2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
1. Preheat grill to medium-high. Season filet with salt and pepper, and grill to medium rare (140 degrees F internal temperature) or desired doneness. Remove steaks from grill, let rest 5 minutes and slice.
2. Preheat oven broiler. Arrange mushrooms on baking sheet in circles to fit biscuits. Sprinkle cheese evenly over mushrooms and broil 30 to 60 seconds, until cheese melts.
3. Assemble sandwiches by stacking steak on biscuit bottom and adding bacon, mushrooms and cheese, peppers, greens and biscuit tops spread with mayonnaise.
Sweet Potato Biscuits
1 (15-ounce) can sweet potatoes, drained and mashed, or 1 cup cooked, mashed fresh sweet potatoes
4 cups biscuit baking mix
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup skim milk
3 tablespoons margarine or butter, softened
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a bowl, mix sweet potatoes with baking mix and cinnamon. Add milk and margarine, stirring until blended.
2. Roll onto a floured surface to 1-inch thick. Cut with a 2-inch cutter or glass, and place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until golden brown. Serve hot.
Yields 20 to 24
Chef's tip: For a savory biscuit, omit cinnamon and add 1 tablespoon chopped parsley and 1 teaspoon seasoning salt.
Note: Leftover biscuits are ideal to serve the next day for breakfast. Serves 4
Recipes provided by Certified Angus Beef LLC and Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission