Reward offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of whoever murdered Inglewood father
INGLEWOOD, Calif.—A $10,000 reward will be offered today for information leading to the arrest and conviction of whoever killed a 28-year-old man in Inglewood as he shielded his 8-year-old son from gunfire.
Fredrick Martin, 28, was mortally wounded April 3 in front of his home on West 109th Street, just west of Crenshaw Boulevard.
“Fredrick Martin was killed shielding (his) son from gunfire,” said family spokeswoman Jasmyne Cannick, adding that his family is now “on a mission to find his killers.”
Police officers arriving at the small, single-family home found Martin had shoved his son to the pavement when gunfire erupted, and he took bullets to the abdomen and upper body. The boy had a minor graze wound. According to police, it was one of three unrelated shootings in Inglewood that night.
Martin’s best friend, Joey Hickman, was shot in his ankle in the fusillade.
A news conference will be held at Inglewood Cty Hall today to publicize the award and rquest the public’s help in tracking down Martin’s killer. It will be attended by Hickman, Martin’s sister and other family members, and Inglewood Mayor James Butts.
The grieving family says neither Martin nor Hickman were affiliated with gangs. But Jaaye Person-Lynn, a high school friend of Martin, told the Los Angeles Times that there had been recent problems between gangs in the neighborhood, and Martin could have been mistakenly targeted.
Martin’s widow, Amanda, is expecting their second child.
LOS ANGELES, Calif.—The 67-year-old owner of an Inglewood night club was shot to death early today while sitting in his car—reportedly a white $300,000 Rolls Royce—outside his home in the Crenshaw District.
The shooting occurred around 2:30 a.m. in the 4200 block of Hillcrest Drive, said Officer Lyle Knight of the Los Angeles Police Department's Media Relations office. The man died at a hospital, said assistant chief Ed Winter of the coroner's office.
INGLEWOOD, Calif.—Inglewood police today sought the public's help to find the killers of a young man gunned down Wednesday while riding his bicycle.
Jose Flores, 19, of Inglewood, died shortly after the roughly 5 p.m. shooting at Arbor Vitae and Oak streets, Assistant Chief Ed Winter of the coroner's office said.
Flores was riding east on Arbor Vitae Street when two gunmen on foot and opened fire, wounding him "multiple'' times, Inglewood police Sgt. Brian Spencer said. The suspects ran off.
COMPTON, Calif.—Bail was set at $3 million today for a 15-year-old boy charged as an adult in a June 4 shooting that killed a 14-month-old boy and wounded his father in Watts.
Donald Ray Dokins made his initial court appearance this afternoon but did not enter a plea. His arraignment was postponed to July 16 in Compton Superior Court.
Dokins faces one count of murder stemming from Angel Cortez’s slaying and one count of attempted murder for allegedly shooting the boy’s father, Mauro, in the shoulder.
George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch volunteer who says he was acting in self-defense when he fatally shot an unarmed teenager in Sanford, Fla., was charged with second-degree murder Wednesday, April 11, more than six weeks after the fatal encounter.
Zimmerman has been arrested and was in the custody of the Florida Department of Law Enforcement as of Wednesday night.
The family and friends of Frederick Martin have put together a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of whoever shot and killed the 28-year-old Inglewood father as he shielded his 8-year-old son from gunfire.
Martin, 28, was shot about 7 p.m. April 3 in the 3200 block of West 109th Street, and died at a local hospital.
Inglewood Mayor James Butts announced the reward at a City Hall news conference attended by Martin’s family.