Los Angeles District Attorney seeks to shut down gang house
Gang, narcotics stronghold
LOS ANGELES - The residents of a South Los Angeles house are characterized by authorities as a gang and narcotics stronghold. The three men who live in the home on Bahama Ave. have been served with an abatement action, prosecutors announced. Along with the three men, 20 others were also named in the civil lawsuit, which alleges they are allowing sales of rock cocaine and marijuana by members of the Campanella Park Piru gang, according to the District Attorney's Office.
The lawsuit seeks a preliminary injunction that would bar the sale of controlled substances at the location, ban gang members from accessing the property and place it under the control of the Superior Court.
Since 2005, 20 known and documented Campanella Park Piru gang members have been arrested or detained at the house for narcotics possession or sales, and several have also been victims of gang-related violence at the property, according to the District Attorney's Office.
The defendants - who could be assessed a maximum $25,000 civil penalty and be required to pay investigative costs - have 30 days to respond to the court filing, according to the District Attorney's Office.
In the last several weeks local law enforcement officials have been involved in altercations with three African American males that have resulted in two fatalities and another young man clinging to life in a local hospital.
The first incident, involved 43-year-old Inglewood resident, Reginald Andre Linthicum, who according to his family had just been paroled from state prison in June after more than 11 years.
Police have arrested a man suspected of sexually assaulting a woman in an area of South Los Angeles where a possible serial rapist had already struck at least three times since Friday morning, authorities said.
An officer saw an injured, unconscious woman on a bus bench at Manchester and Normandie avenues just before 12:55 a.m. and her suspected assailant fleeing, said Officer Roger Aguirre of the Los Angeles Police Department’s 77th Street Station. A perimeter was quickly set up in the area and a police dog located the suspect about 2 a.m., he said.
Two men suspected in the shooting deaths of two USC graduate students from China during a botched robbery were charged Tuesday with capital murder.
Bryan Barnes, 20, and Javier Bolden, 19, will be arraigned on June 25. They are charged with the April 11 killings of Ming Qu and Ying Wu, both 23.
The electrical engineering students were attacked while they sat in Qu’s double-parked, 2003
BMW in the 2700 block of Raymond Avenue, not far from the USC campus, during a downpour.
The California Citizens Redistricting Commission, which held meetings in Los Angeles City Hall last Thursday and in the Antelope Valley on Sunday, has a mandate is to redraw district lines, not to disrupt communities but to strengthen them. But how does the Commission accomplish its task when most community spokespersons appeared to be asking the body to maintain the status quo and keep their communities intact?
LOS ANGELES, Calif.—A three-day count of the homeless population in much of Los Angeles County will begin tonight in the San Gabriel Valley and East Los Angeles.
What is billed as the nation's largest count of the homeless is conducted every two years and is headed by the Los Angeles Homeless Service Authority.